Vote SNP - we know where you live

Alasdair Allan

This is a private journal about all the exciting things that have happened to me since I stood as MSP for Gordon the Western Isles. I am dedicated to the people of Gordon the Western Isles, and there is nowhere else I would rather represent. I even intend to live there soon.

I am not to be mistaken for for that imposter who pretends to be an MSP.

I really like this dynamic and exciting blog layout, which suits me perfectly.

Monday, November 19, 2007

Seachd - the inaccessible film

When I launched my campaign to have Seachd adopted by BAFTA as the indigenous language film to represent the UK at the Oscars, many people thought I was jumping on a Gaelic bandwagon.

I asked a piercing and incisive question of the Minister

S3W-5072 - Alasdair Allan (Western Isles) (SNP) (Date Lodged 3 October 2007) : To ask the Scottish Executive what representations it has made to the British Academy of Film and Television Awards (BAFTA) about the criteria for nominations for Best Foreign Language film at the Oscars, in light of BAFTA’s decision to nominate no films in this category despite the Scottish Gaelic film, Seachd, being put forward for nomination.
Answered by Linda Fabiani (25 October 2007): I share the disappointment felt by many that Seachd was not put forward by BAFTA as the UK entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the Oscars. Whilst the Scottish Government has no direct influence over the decision making process, the First Minister has written to BAFTA UK on this issue expressing our disappointment. I understand that the film has received many positive reviews and has been selected for the Rome and Vancouver Film Festivals, I wish it every success at these prestigious events and I hope audiences across Scotland, and more widely, continue to enjoy Seachd.

So it was clear that this tremendous film was an important milestone for the Gaelic language, and with my support and the popular acclaim in Scotland it was going far. So it proved this weekend when it achieved a monumental third place in the Scottish Baftas, beaten only by the two other nominees, and despite having disappeared from all public cinemas after extremely disappointing box offices. If only BAFTA had listen to me and Mr Alex and had put it forward for the Oscar's there would have been a real chance of the film beating the entries from Burkino Faso and Outer Mongolia to show just how important Gaelic is on the world stage and shown that we wouldn't look like idiots for supporting an unsuccessful, inaccessible and poor film.

I was so pleased with the outcome, I poured myself a small caffeine and tanin free tea, and went to bed early.

Gaelic films supported - 1
Grey suits owned - 3
Hair gel used - 1 tub (small)

I've read my wise words this many times

* No, not really. If you haven't worked out that this is a satirical exercise, then please get a life. And find one for Alasdair.